Regardless of where you live, there are a few things you need to do after a car accident. If you don’t do these things, not only do you risk further injury, but you also make your South Carolina car accident lawyer’s job harder. The last thing you want to do is jeopardize your chances of recovering against the defendant.
Unfortunately, we’re not taught how to handle a car accident when we learn how to drive. Our parents make sure we have an emergency kit in our trunk. They also tell you what to do if you break down. However, nobody ever sits you down and tells you what to do if you get into a crash.
Hopefully, you’re reading this before you get into an accident. But this information is important even after your crash. Every action you take after your car accident can impact whether or not you get damages. Here, we’ll talk about a few of the biggest mistakes people make after their South Carolina car accident.
The most important thing, of course, is that you contact an experienced car accident lawyer in Greenville right away. They’ll do what they can to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
It’s Important That You Take Certain Steps After Your Crash
If you get into a car accident, there are a few things you need to do. First, you need to call 911. They’ll come out and do a thorough investigation of the accident scene. Second, you need to get immediate medical attention. This means you have to go to the hospital, even if your injuries are minor. Finally, you need to call an experienced car accident lawyer in Greenville. They’ll make sure your claim is handled properly from day one.
Some of the biggest mistakes people make after their car accident include:
- They agree to not call the police. This means there’s a good chance they won’t get accurate information from the other driver. It also means you won’t get a police report. Without a police report, your car accident attorney in Greenville will have a very difficult time proving your case.
- They refuse medical treatment. No matter how minor you think your injuries are, you have to go to the hospital. You could have internal injuries such as a traumatic brain injury. If left untreated, these injuries can prove fatal. You also need to get treatment so your lawyer can prove you were injured.
- They try to deal with the insurance company on your own. They will try to take advantage of you. They’ll either deny your claim or offer you a lowball settlement. They won’t try to take advantage of your lawyer.
Your South Carolina Car Accident Attorney Will Have to Prove Your Damages
The goal of hiring a skilled car accident lawyer is so that you have the best chance of recovering damages. If your car accident claim was paid by the insurance company right away, you wouldn’t need a lawyer.
Your South Carolina car accident attorney is going to demand the following damages:
- Medical Bills – Not only are you eligible for reimbursement for out of pocket medical bills, but you can also demand money for future medical care. In order to prove this future care, you may need to have your doctor take the stand. At a minimum, they’ll need to complete an affidavit. This way, they can attest to the fact that you may need long-term treatment.
- Lost Wages –Some people go back to work too soon after their car accident. If you aren’t physically able to work, let your lawyer know. The defendant should have to compensate you for any time you miss from work.
- Pain and Suffering – If you can prove that you suffered from mental and physical anguish, you may be entitled to pain and suffering damages.
- Property Damage – After your car has been in a crash, it’s going to have some dents and dings. It may even be totaled. It depends on how serious your accident was.
Your attorney is going to negotiate with the insurance company to try to settle your case and get you the damages you deserve.
Contact an Experienced Car accident Attorney in Greenville
People tend to make the same mistakes after a car accident in Greenville. Lawyers see it all the time. That’s why it’s important to reach out to a personal injury lawyer in Greenville as soon as possible. They can make sure your claim is handled properly from the start. Contact us today to set up a free consultation.