When most people think about burn victims, they tend to imagine house fires. This makes sense. If you’re asleep in a house and it catches on fire, there’s a good chance you’ll suffer serious burn injuries. It doesn’t matter if it happens during the day or night. It can be hard enough to detect that a house fire is taking place. It can be even harder to get your loved ones and pets out of the house before you end up getting hurt. What a lot of people don’t realize is that it isn’t just house fires that cause serious burn injuries in South Carolina. Car accidents are also one of the leading causes of these types of injuries. That’s why car accident lawyers in Greenville have the knowledge and experience to handle these cases.
If you’ve ever been involved in a car accident, you realize that most crashes are minor. The people involved in the crash are usually able to walk away from the accident relatively unscathed. You may have a few bumps and bruises. You may even suffer whiplash or a slight concussion. But, for the most part, you’re okay. You’ll be back to work within a few days or weeks. You may even be able to resume a normal life within a day or two.
For people involved in fiery car accidents, it’s a totally different story. Even a minor crash can result in a fire. When your car’s engine suffers a tremendous impact, there’s always the chance that it can catch on fire. If this does happen, you’re going to suffer pretty serious and very painful injuries. The last thing you’ll want to do is fight with insurance companies and lawyers. That’s why we suggest you contact an experienced car accident lawyer in Greenville sooner rather than later. They can handle all of this for you while you focus on what’s important – getting better.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Burn Injuries in South Carolina?
Burn injuries are one of the leading causes of accidental deaths in the U.S. A lot of these are caused by house fires. However, a lot of people don’t realize just how many of these injuries are caused by something else entirely.
According to the American Burn Association, the following things are the leading causes of burn injuries:
- Touching hot objects
- Any sort of fire, including car fires
- Electrical fires
- Chemical explosions and exposure
When you get into a car accident, the impact can be terrific. Depending on the nature of the crash, you may end up having your car catch on fire. Or your car may expel fluids that cause an external fire to erupt. This can lead to significant burn injuries. When this happens, you need to seek medical help immediately.
Your Greenville Car Accident Lawyer Will Need to Prove Negligence
As with any other car accident lawsuit, your lawyer will need to prove negligence. In other words, they need to demonstrate that the defendant did something (or did not do something) they should have in the situation. For example, if the other driver was speeding at the time of the crash, they may be found negligent.
Negligence requires that your Greenville car accident lawyer show the following four (4) things:
- The defendant owed you a duty of care – This won’t be difficult. All motorists owe other people on the road a certain duty of care. At a minimum, they need to follow all of the local traffic laws.
- they breached this duty – This is the hardest part of your case to prove. Your car accident attorney in South Carolina needs to show that the other driver did something they shouldn’t have. They can prove this by submitting evidence of a traffic ticket issued at the accident scene.
- You were injured – It isn’t enough that you’re in a car accident. You need to show that you were actually hurt if you expect to collect damages.
- Your injuries were caused by the defendant’s breach of duty – This usually isn’t an issue. However, if you didn’t seek medical attention immediately after the crash, the defendant will claim something else caused the accident. That’s why you have to go to the hospital right away.
Contact a Skilled Car Accident Lawyer in South Carolina Sooner Rather than Later
If you’re hurt in a fiery car accident, you need to call our office right away. Talk to a seasoned car accident lawyer in Greenville as soon as possible after your crash. Your initial consultation is free, and you don’t pay anything until your case is resolved.